Celebrating the spirit of Easter
Easter traditions may vary but decorating eggs is a common tradition.
Blowing out Eggs and Decorating
A super surprise for Pari when she came back home from school
Step 1: Blow out the egg
- Give the egg a nice rinse with water
- Pierce holes on the top and bottom end of the egg. Do this by placing a nail and hitting it really really gently so it gets a grip. Then, screw the nail inside – even more gently. You might get tiny cracks around the nail the first time but with little practice, you can perfect this art. It IS an art, I must tell you.
- Place your mouth on the hole and start blowing. (Make sure there’s a bowl underneath.) And blow and blow and blow – till the stuff inside the egg is blown out into the bowl.
- Now that your egg is all empty, you can wipe clean and get ready for the next step
Step 2: Dye the egg and decorate
- I used liquid food colours –red, green and orange. You can use natural dyes, too (beet, turmeric, henna)
- Place the egg in a colander
- Sprinkle some white vinegar on the egg. Give a shake
- Using an eyedropper, drop a few drops – one colour at a time
- Give a shake in the colander so that the colours are nicely smeared
- Pat dry lightly on a paper napkin
- Embellish with stickers/petals/bindis
What do you think, friends? I love to hear from you. So, connect by leaving your brilliant comment below!
Step 3: Insert letter/s into the egg
- Write anything you want on a very narrow (1/2 or max 1 inch width) strip of paper
- Roll the paper
- Insert it into the egg through the hole
- You can insert more letters if you want to. I did 5!
Step 4: Pack the egg like a parcel and surprise your kid!
- Affix a stamp on top of the box and write “to” and "from" addresses (this is just to give it a realistic look)
- Stick the egg inside the box – at the bottom – with a Fevicol Glue Drop or a double sided tape
- Write – “crack open” or anything else you wish – on the inside of the cover flap
- Surprise your lil one and capture her/his egg-citement on her/his face!
I need help sustaining this blog…
Dear blog readers – It’s been exactly eight years now that I’ve been writing on this blog! Yes, eight long years and hundreds of articles. From art, creativity and learning; to food, health, gardening, travel, sustainable and mindful living, natural birth. In our un-schooling life, as we go on introspecting, questioning and evolving, I’ve strived to share our stories and experiences with as much honesty, care and sincerity as possible.
I spend hours writing an article – and often write and rewrite many times before it rings true to me and sounds worthy of your time to read.
The most important thing for me is to keep this blogging endeavour authentic and true to my values. This blog has been my sacred space to express, share, feel empowered and contribute. Hence, I do not like to support businesses that don’t align with my values. So far, I’ve rarely taken sponsorship from brands and companies. I haven’t placed any ads on my blog, though there have been multiple offers.
Infact, I’d like to keep this blog ad free unless something truly meaningful comes across.
Yet, there’s a cost to running this blog. The basic cost of keeping the domain alive, and hosting all this content on. I spend roughly INR 10,000 (USD 173) just to keep this blog up and running. So, I need to cover this cost. Plus, it’d be nice to bring in some income for our family of four. And, this is where I request your support.
If you find my articles and stories useful or inspiring at some level, please help me sustain. Starting from 1 dollar or 100 rupees to whatever you can, do consider donating for the content I share; for my intention and the time and effort I put. Your support will go a long way in keeping this blog (of 8+ years) sparkling with stories for many more years to come. Thank you, dear ones. I’ll value what you’ll gift with love and kindness. :-)
International readers: Donate using PayPal
Readers in India: Donate here