While most baby names tend to emphasize cuteness and beauty, some parents prefer unique and darker names. If you are looking for unconventional options, such as names that mean death, darkness, or destruction, we have compiled a list of names you will love for your baby girl or boy.
In some cultures, death is often a solemn and taboo topic. However, in other cultures, it is celebrated as a part of life and a means to connect with the spiritual realm. Some names meaning death may sound dark, but others are tied to gods and goddesses associated with death, and some even carry celebratory meanings.
From the best names meaning death, like Amaia, Dearil, and Hazarmaveth, to unique names like Jemisha, Orpheus, and Tamsira, you can choose from plenty of options.
Explore our list of baby names related to the theme of death and find amazing ideas.
Best Names Meaning Death
Parents often select names meaning death to symbolize resilience and fresh beginnings. These names can represent strength in the face of adversity and the ability to overcome challenges. In contrast, some choose it for family traditions and due to certain cultures.
Here are some of the best names that mean death:
This is an Arabic name that means death or destiny.
This is a Basque name that means death.
This is a Hebrew name that means brother of death.
This is a Hebrew name that means confusion of death.
This name is of Israeli origin, meaning the son of death.
This is a Greek name that means spinner of life and death.
This is an African name that means death.
This is a Greek name that means ill-fated.
This name is of Scottish and German origin, meaning call of death.
This name is of Ijaw origin, meaning death has ended.
This is a Hebrew name that means dwelling of death.
This is a Hindu name that means God of death.
This name is of Sanskrit and Indian origin, meaning potion of death.
This is an Indian name that means God of death.
This is an African name that means death.
This is a Latin name that means death, a sea of death.
This is a Scottish name meaning ruler of Death Castle.
This is a Sanskrit name that means conqueror of death.
This is a Norse name that means shore of death.
This is a Greek name that means bringer of death.
21 . Sephtis
This is a Persian name that means eternal death.
This is a Greek name that refers to someone who brings death.
This name is taken from French Literature, meaning flight of death.
Male Names That Mean Death
- Admatha – This is a Biblical name that means a cloud of death.
- Ahimoth – This is another Biblical name that means brother of death.
- Anubis – Tbits is a Greek name that means to decay.
- Balor – This is an Irish name that means the deadly one.
- Berodach – This is a Biblical name that means son of death.
- Claeg – This is an English name that means someone who is subjected to death.
- Djall – This is the name of a demon in Albanian folklore that means devil who causes death.
- Ernesh – This is an Indian name that means battle to death.
- Jerimoth – This is a Biblical name that refers to someone who rejects death.
- Kalabhiti – This is an Indian name that refers to someone of whom death is afraid.
- Kalayavan – This is another Indian name that means as horrible as death.
- Melwas – This is a Welsh name that means prince of death.
- Meremoth – This is a Biblical name that means bitterness of death.
- Nirnasha – This is an Indian name that means deathless.
- Owuo – This is the name of the God of death in African mythology.
- Supay – This name is of Incan origin, meaning God of evil death.
- Tuwile – This is a Kenyan name that means death is inevitable.
- Uqbah – This name is common among Muslims and means the end of everything.
Whether you are a fan of mysteries or searching for a baby name that means secret, we have a wide range of mystery names for you. Read our guide to learn more.
Girl Names That Mean Death
- Adaliah – This is a Hebrew name that means death.
- Abiba – This is an African name that refers to a baby born after a grandmother’s death.
- Bacia – This is a Ugandan name that means death.
- Bronach – This is an ancient name that refers to sorrow or sadness.
- Chiwa – This is an African name that means death.
- Clotho – This is a Greek mythological name that means death.
- Desdemona – This is a Greek name that means misery.
- Ereshkigal – This is a Sumerian mythological name that means land of the dead.
- Ernaline – This name is of Old Norse and Germanic origin, meaning death.
- Freyja – This is a Norse mythological name that means death.
- Hel – This is a Norse mythological name of the Goddess of Death.
- Itishree – This is a Hindi name that means the end.
- Keres – This is a Greek name that refers to the death spirit.
- Libitina – This is a Latin name that means death.
- Morella – This is a Literary name meaning death.
- Morana – This is a Slavic name meaning death.
- Omisha – This is the Hindi name for the Goddess of Death.
- Solikha – This is a Sanskrit name that means flower of death.
- Smierc – This is a Polish name that means death.
- Tristana – This name is of Celtic and French origin, meaning sad.
Names That Mean Death And Destruction
- Abaddon – This is the Biblical name of an angel of doom and destruction.
- Anubis – This is a Greek name that means death and decay.
- Agrona – This is an Old English name that refers to the Goddess of slaughter, representing death and destruction.
- Aridam – This is an Indian name meaning destroyer of foes.
- Azmaveth – This is a Biblical name that means strong death.
- Angerona – This is a Latin name that means Goddess of anguish.
- Bela – Destruction
- Deyanira – This is a Greek and Spanish name that means great destruction.
- Dahak – This is a Hindu name meaning destroyer.
- Gedeon – Destroyer
- Hadeon – This is a Ukrainian name meaning destroyer.
- Kalma – This is a Finnish name that means Goddess of death.
- Lefu – This is a South African name meaning sickness and death.
- Letum – the Roman name that means death and destruction
- Mara – Sanskrit name that means destroyer
- Perseus – This is a Greek name meaning destroyer.
- Runihura – This is an Egyptian name that means destroyer.
- Shamhuth – This is a Biblical name that means destruction.
- Sekhmet – This is an Egyptian name meaning destruction.
- Ziddim – This is a Biblical name that means destruction.
When picking up baby names, the options are endless, but finding the perfect names that mean quiet can be challenging. Check our guide to get some inspiring ideas.
Names That Mean Death Bringer
- Ahimoth – Biblical name meaning brother of death
- Archemoros – Forerunner of death in Greek mythology
- Dearil – Germanic and Scottish origin
- Morrigan – This name is of Irish and Celtic origin, meaning bringer of death.
- Mabuz – This is an Arthurian name that refers to the ruler of Death Castle.
- Methusael – One who demands death
- Orcus – This is a Greek name that means bringer of death.
- Persephone – Greek mythological name
- Proserpina – Roman Goddess
- Thanatos – One who brings death
Greek Names That Mean Death
- Achlys – Death mist
- Alexiares – Greek hero that protects from death and ruin
- Athanasius – Death
- Ares – God of warfare and courage
- Clotho – Spinner of life and death
- Cletus – Distinguished
- Deianira – This Greek name means man destroyer.
- Erebus – Greek God of darkness
- Erysichthon – Someone cursed with an insatiable hunger leading to death
- Hecate – This Greek name refers to the Goddess of demons and witchcraft.
- Keres – death spirit
- Pluto – This is the name of the Greek God of death.
- Tartarus – Hellish place in Greek mythology
- Thana – Death
- Thanatos – Death in Greek mythology
Japanese Names That Mean Death And Demon
- Amaya – This Japanese name means the end.
- Asaka – This Japanese name means beautiful death.
- Botsugo – After death
- Chousie – Passing
- Chiwa – Death
- Ensei – Death
- Heishi – Death
- Kyuushi – Sudden death
- Kuragari – This Japanese name means darkness.
- Shigo – After death
- Shiryo – Dead spirit
- Tomoe – Death
- Yousetsu – Premature death
- Zessoku – Passing away
Unique Names That Mean Death And Darkness
- Firefly – Symbol of death
- Enma – This is the name of the Buddhist God of hell.
- Hunapo – This is a Maori name meaning hidden darkness.
- Jerimoth – Biblical name for someone who fears death
- Jolon – A native American name meaning valley of dead oaks.
- Jemisha – This is a Hindu name that means queen of darkness.
- Keket – This is an ancient Egyptian name meaning darkness.
- Khalida – An Arabic name that means deathless
- Kek – This is an Egyptian name for the God of darkness.
- Leila – This is an African Arabic name meaning dark beauty.
- Manea – Goddess of death in Roman mythology
- Orpheus – This is a Greek name meaning darkness of the night.
- Perran – This name is of Cornish origin, meaning little dark one.
- Tamasvi – This is a Sanskrit name that refers to someone with darkness.
- Tamisra – This is a Bengali name that refers to someone who is full of darkness.
Cool Names That Mean Darkness Or Death
- Amartya – A Sanskrit name meaning deathless.
- Arawn – Celtic name that means the realm of the dead
- Benoni – Hebrew name meaning son of my sorrow
- Dolores – A Latin name that means lady of sorrow
- Ernaline – A Celtic name that means battle to the death
- Javaraya – An Indian name of God of death.
- Kritanta – An Indian name meaning God of death.
- Lilith – A Hebrew name that means night.
- Louhi – This is a Finnish name meaning Goddess of death
- Mallory – French name that means ill-omened.
- Morana – This is a Slavic name meaning death.
- Morticia – This is a Lati name meaning death.
- Odin – The God of war and death in Norse mythology
- Naenia – Incantation in Roman mythology
- Prantika – An Indian name that means the end
- Shivani – An Indian name meaning life and death.
- Tanda – The seer of life and death in Native Americans.
- Ultima – A Latin name meaning end or last.
Names that mean death may be seen as out of the norm, but they carry profound and intricate significance. With names meaning darkness, you can embrace your baby’s dark and mischievous side.
If you are an adventurous parent who wants extraordinary and unique options for the baby, we hope our list will give you some amazing ideas.