If you have always admired the ocean and loved watching Disney’s The Little Mermaid, you may be interested in choosing the name of these unique under the sea creatures. Our list of names will surely have some of the best options for your girl if you are searching for the best mermaid names.
Mermaids are mythological creatures and are often interpreted as half human and half fish symbolizing magic, mystery, and wide ranges of the ocean. In some cultures, mermaids describe fertility and life inside the ocean.
From beautiful names like Eudora, Madison, and Sereia to cute names like Anahita, Nerida, and Meribella, we have some of the best names for your baby girl and boy.
Read More: Biblical Girl Names
Best Mermaid Names For Girls
A free-spirited mermaid name that means lion of the air. This Disney princess name taken from The Little Mermaid is of Hebrew origin.
This is the name of Ariel’s little sister in The Little Mermaid which means cheerful and noble. This name is of Old German origin.
It is a Greek name that means nurses of fish. This is a perfect name for a mermaid baby girl.
This is a Greek name that means goddess of fishermen.
A Welsh name from Waverly and The Magic Seashells, a toy series.
A Greek name that means daughter of a river God. It is a mythical name.
An English and Greek name that means divine. This name is taken from Barbie in A Mermaid Tale.
It is a Persian name that means star. This cute mermaid name will perfectly suit your daughter, who has a shining personality like a star.
A Latin name that is perfect for mermaid meaning youthful.
A Hebrew name for a mermaid that means beauty, glory, or splendor.
It is a Greek ocean nymph name that means purple flower.
A Hawaiian name that means sea and sky. Another version of this name is Kaylani which is of Polynesian origin that means sea heavens.
A German name that means temptress.
This cute mermaid’s name is of Gaelic origin, meaning shining sea or bright sea. It is a perfect combination of sea and bright.
This beautiful mermaid’s name is of English origin, meaning star of the sea.
A Cornish name that means mermaid.
A Greek name that means sea nymph.
A Japanese name that means child of the waves.
A Greek name that means water nymph.
An Irish name that means lamb. It is also the name of a character from the series, Sofia the First.
A French name that means ocean. This name is also of the daughter of the mermaid’s youngest sister in The Little Mermaid.
This name is of Hebrew origin meaning ocean gem or jewel.
It is a Latin name that means dew of the sea.
A Portuguese word for mermaid. This is a perfect name for a mermaid girl.
A Hebrew name that means splendor or beauty.
This is a Celtic name meaning white wave.
Read More: Elegant Girl Names
Cute Mermaid Names
- Athena – The Greek name of Ariel’s mother in The Little Mermaid. This is also a Greek mythology name of a Goddess of wisdom.
- Anahita – A Persian name that means Goddess of water.
- Coral is a Latin name taken from the stony underwater structures found in the reefs where mermaids swim.
- Ceto – A Greek name that means sea goddess.
- Cari – A Turkish name that means something or someone who flows like water.
- Delphine – A French name that means dolphin.
- Elysia – A Greek and Latin name that means heaven.
- Faye – A French name that means fairy.
- Grimoire – A French and Latin name that means book of spells.
- Inanna – A Sumerian name that means lady of heaven.
- Jinx – A Latin name that means magic charm or spell.
- Lone – A Greek name that means lady of sorrows.
- Laguna – A Latin name that means pond or lake.
- Maisie – A Scottish name that means pearl.
- Myrla – An English name that means shining sea.
- Nixie – A German name that means water sprite.
- Sequana – A Celtic name that is of Goddess of the River Seine.
- Thaleia – A Greek name that means blooming sea.
- Urmi – A cute mermaid name of Hindu origin that means wave of the sea.
- Yara – An Arabic name that means water lady.
Mythical Mermaid Names From Movies
- Amaris – A Hebrew name that means promised by God. This is a mythical name of a mermaid from Mako: Island of Secrets.
- Amelia – A Hebrew name that means work. This mythical name is from Waverly and the Magic Seashells.
- Aquata – A Greek name that means water. This mermaid’s name is from The Little Mermaid.
- Arista – A Greek name that means harvest. This is also a name from The Little Mermaid of Ariel’s sister.
- Beatrice – A Latin name that means a girl who brings happiness. This mythical name is from the show To The Abandoned Sacred Beasts.
- Calissa – A Latin and Greek name that means fairest or most beautiful. The name of the mermaid is taken from Barbie in a Mermaid Tale.
- Coralina – A Latin name that means coral. This mermaid’s name is from Waverly and the Magic Seashells.
- Deema – An Arabic name that means rainy cloud. This mermaid’s name is taken from the TV show Bubble Guppies.
- Dominique – A French name that means belonging to the lord. This mermaid’s name is from Lost Girl.
- Echo – A Greek mythological name taken from the book series Rescue Sirens and Mermaid Tales.
- Gabriella – An Italian name that means God is my strength. It was the name of a deaf mermaid in The Little Mermaid who was Ariel’s friend.
- Jewel – An English name taken from the show Mako: Island of Secrets.
- June – A Latin name that is also a Month name for Goddess. This name is taken from the movie Mermaids.
- Kiki – A Japanese and French name that means double happiness. This name is taken from the mermaid’s name in the Mermaid Tales series.
- Madison – An English name that means Son of Matthew. This is a mermaid’s name in the movie Splash.
- Mara – A Hebrew name that means bitter. It is also a mermaid name from the Disney Fairies franchise.
- Maya – A mythological name of Hebrew, Latin, and Spanish origin that means water. It is the name of a mermaid in Mako: Island of Secrets.
- Nerissa – A Greek name that means from the sea. It is the mythical name of the little mermaid in The Wolf Among Us game series.
- Ryn – A Welsh name meaning ruler. The name is taken from the TV show Siren.
- Sabrina – A Latin and Celtic mythological name taken from the book Comus, ancient Celtic river Goddess.
- Triton – A Greek mythology name taken from The Little Mermaid.
- Venus – A Roman and Latin name taken from the movie Mermaids.
- Xylie – An English and Arabic name that means someone from the woods or gift of nature. It is also the name of a mermaid from Barbie in a Mermaid Tale.
Good Names For A Mermaid
- Aqua – A Latin name that means water.
- Asrai – A Gaelic name that means aquatic fairy.
- Arista – A Latin name that means harvest.
- Bayou – A name of Choctaw origin that means small stream.
- Cleodora – A Greek name that means gift of glory.
- Daryah – A Persian name that means sea.
- Kallianassa – The lovely Queen
- Maisie – A Scottish name that means pearl.
- Marni – A Latin name that means from the sea.
- Muirgen – An Irish name that means born of the sea.
- Meri – A Finnish name that means the sea.
- Nerida – A Greek name that means mermaid.
- Polly – A Latin name that means star of the sea.
- Peninah – A Hebrew name that means pearl.
- Yara – An Arabic name that means water lady.
Names That Mean Mermaid
- Amatheia – Greek origin
- Aerwyna – Old English origin
- Asia – Greek origin
- Calypso – Greek origin
- Galene – Greek origin
- Halia – Greek and Hawaiian origin
- Laira – Greek origin
- Morvoren – Cornish origin
- Maira – Greek origin
- Muirgen – Irish origin
- Nara – Latin origin
- Naida – Greek origin
- Nerida – Greek origin
- Rusalka – Slavic origin
- Sereia – Portuguese origin
Read More: Soft Girl Names
Exotic Mermaid Names From Different Mythologies
Mermaids have always been represented differently in different mythologies. Here are some examples:
- Amphitrite – Goddess of the sea and Consort of Poseidon
- Leucothea – Sea goddess
- Nereus – Sea God
- Thalia – Sea nymph
- Thetis – Mother of Achilles
- Galene – Nereid
- Salacia – Sea Goddess
- Triton – Son of Poseidon
- Thalassa – Primordial Goddess of sea
- Tethys – Wife of Oceanus
Native American Mythology
Unique Mermaid Girl Names
- Aquamarine – Water of the sea in Latin
- Blue – Associated with watercolor
- Cordelia – Daughter of the sea in Celtic and Latin
- Fontaine – Fountain in French
- Isla – Island in Spanish
- Mariana – Star of the sea in Latin
- Morwenna – Waves of the sea in Welsh
- Namiko – Wave child in Japanese
- Nori – Seaweed in Japanese
- Onda – Wave in Latin
- Syrena – Enchanter in Greek
Mermaid Names For Boys
- Aquarius – Water carrier Latin
- Dylan – Child of the Sea in Welsh
- Hurley – Sea tide in Irish
- Irving – Sea friend in Scottish
- Kaito – Flying over the sea in Japanese
- Merlin – Sea fortress in Merlin
- Nalu – Wave in Hawaiian
- Neptune – Roman God of the sea
- Poseidon – God of the sea in Greek
- Troy – Water Soldier
- Uisce – Water in Irish
- Valdimar – Ruler of the ocean
- Zale – Sea land
Most mermaid names are unique, creative, timeless, and have enchanting qualities that are enough to capture people’s attention for ages. The names we have provided in this post are referenced in history, mythology, or on your favorite TV show or fairy tale.
We hope you will love these adorable mermaid names for your girl, and they will surely inspire you to find a perfect one for your little princess.